Thursday, June 05, 2003

In regards to Mr. Hogues assertion that II Corinthians 3:3 refers to a change from the law on stone to the law on the heart, I feel I must protest and back this up scripturally. God's people have been commanded to have the laws on their heart and this is first asserted in Deuteronomy 6:6 which states, "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts." To assert that God had originally asked the Israelites to write the laws on stone implies that God has somehow changed and this simply cannot be.

However, to vindicate Mr Hogue at the same time, I believe the change in the two forms doesn't come from different commandments, as I've mentioned, but from the role of man and God in how we are to live the law which God has given us. In the OT, God had left us up to our conscience and fear of the Lord to have the laws of God written on our hearts. Yet time and again, we see the iniquities of men turning entire nations to condemnation. Because of this downfall, it is my firm belief the introduction of the Spirit of the Lord was introduced to further help in our discerning good over evil. In this manner we can have the laws written on our hearts instead of living the law simply because we were told to do so. In simple terms, it wasn't simply enough for God to give us guidelines to live by because we as sinners under the law would simply break them. Under the new covenant of grace, we see God playing a more active role in our lives and helping us to choose righteousness.


In Christ,

Jim Brank
Servant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home