Thursday, December 01, 2005

I've noticed the boycott will not have to happen. Foxnews now has it at Christmas Ornaments instead of holiday ornaments. Now if the front page for shopping will change to Christmas shopping, everything will be just peachy.

7 Comments:

At December 11, 2005 2:50 PM, Blogger RR said...

Why do you care what OTHER people call this time of year?

Why is it important to you?

 
At December 11, 2005 10:37 PM, Blogger Tex said...

Because I've been silent far too long.

 
At December 12, 2005 2:49 PM, Blogger RR said...

Huh?

That's not a reason.

If you believe that christ is a god, great. You folks got the government to give you a holiday!! Great for you on that one! I'm not upset with that fact. Hell, I like to take the day off work too...

But when you try to villianize those of us who don't share your belief system, well, that's simply un-American.

Happy Holidays.

 
At December 13, 2005 1:32 AM, Blogger Tex said...

you are the minority.

 
At December 13, 2005 1:15 PM, Blogger RR said...

LOL... ok, I get it... I’m not a White, Christian male so I should just shut up and take what the majority says… This is likely my last post to your blog.

I thought I'd stimulate some critical thought, but apparently you don't even understand the premise of a republican government: that the rights of the minority are to be protected from what our Founders called "the tyranny of the majority". (In case you don't know, we don't live in a democracy -- but a representative republic). This is precisely why we have a Constitution… and further, the founders specifically codified a wall between government and religion. As Jefferson said:

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson: Bill for Religious Freedom, 1779. Papers 2:545

Now, we’ve started tearing down that wall: citizens’ taxes support religion (e.g. – chaplins in congress, Bush’s entire faith-based-initiatives, etc.) but apparently the religious-right isn’t satisfied with that: they have to be outraged because I tell my friends at work “Happy Holidays” instead of Merry Xmas… Or that Target tries to be inclusive of other people’s faith.

Well sir, there are many of us in the ‘minority’ that are not Christians… I literally scares me to think that people with your attitude have power in this government.

Sometimes it makes me even want to resign my commission: thinking that I am risking my life for people like you – it disgusts me.

I’m sure you’ll be happy to continue your life in your homogeneous world where everyone around you believes as you do… Hopefully, some little part of you brain will remember that there are other American’s out there: many overseas right now, that don’t believe in god the way you do – and that is one of the rights they are fighting for.

(What's amazing to me is how little people learn from history)

 
At December 14, 2005 12:54 AM, Blogger Tex said...

There are no atheists in a fozhole.

 
At December 14, 2005 7:55 AM, Blogger Stitch180 said...

reign of reason -

You said, "Well sir, there are many of us in the ‘minority’ that are not Christians… I literally scares me to think that people with your attitude have power in this government."

It scares me that people with your attitude have power in this government, too. There has to be a balance.

Personally, I don't care what OTHER people call this time of year. For me, it's Christmas. But there are people who have been trying to get God out of the public sector for years, citing a non-existant "separation of church and state" in the Constitution. The GOVERNMENT isn't supposed to ESTABLISH one religion over any other. As I see it, saying "Merry Christmas" and all that goes with it, plus the Faith Based Initiative you mentioned don't do that. What the Faith Based Initiative does, from what I understand, is allow those faith based programs (which are designed to help people in need) to apply for government grants, etc. with no guarantee they will be given those grants, just like any other program that applies. But that's not what we're debating.

This whole "saying Merry Christmas" flap is about Christians fighting for their religious freedom. What has gotten out of hand is employers instructing employees NOT to say Merry Christmas (so as not to be offensive to non-Christians...not thinking or caring that it offends some Christians), schools not allowing the colors red and green at their Holiday parties, the Nativity being banned from public squares, etc. This time of year is based on religious beliefs in this country. It has become overshadowed by the secular aspects of the Holiday (Santa) and the emphasis has mostly shifted in that direction. From all the statistics I've seen, the majority of Americans are Christians. Why should Christians have to put up with this assault on their religious beliefs?

The Constitution states "freedom OF religion". We just want that freedom. If it's offensive to some people, it's their problem.

Non-Christians have been pushing their views on the rest of us for quite some time. Christians are starting to push back. It's as simple as that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home