Gaiaism and the Irate Christian (me)
So my daughter was sent home yesterday with a letter explaining a pledge the children say everyday in Kindergarten. I assumed it would be the Pledge of Allegiance, which I have no objections to. Instead, the pledge was entitled, 'Pledge to the Earth.' I think I know where this is headed. The letter is as follows:
"Dear Families,
It has come to my attention that some parents want to know more about the Pledge of the Earth we do in class every day. I am so plased to have such involved families this year. I will start by giving you the wrods we recite each day for the pledge.
I like this poem because I feel it is important for kindergarteners to understand that we should take care of and respect all living things around us. The children will also learn important concepts about print by helping to recite this every morning. If you have specific questions regarding anything we do in class, please feel free to contact me. Thank you so much for your communication and interest in your child's education.
Ms. Monroe
(940) 360-2800
*******@*********.org"
A surface glance at the poem and I'm sure no one would ever give it a second thought, giving it the ok for his or her child to recite this on a daily basis. Besides, respecting all things and living responsibly sounds like a noble cause, right? Surely no one would object to something as clearly stated as this. The problem is, I object to this.
So my 1st attempt to contact the teacher resulted in failure, the phone number listed has long since been disconnected, meaning this isn't the 1st year someone has expressed a concern in this poem. Researching "Pledge to the Earth" yielded some interesting results and some political agendas I do not agree with like the Earth Charter and the World Constitution and Parliament Association.
Showing up to her class to day to express my disdain for this poem, I tell the teach I do not want my daughter to participate in such an activity. She asks me why and I tell her I do not agree with the agendas behind the poem, namely the earth constitution and earth charter. She then begins to tell me there is nothing wrong with this poem. I let her say what she wants, but it is in one ear out the other. Walking out the door, i noticed a line omitted from the poem which simply said, "Namaste."
Why this word didn't show up on the letter to the parents confuses me. At first I thought it was the name of the person who wrote the poem, but after googling it, I was quite shocked and a bit peeved. It's hindu in origin and means, "I bow down to you." Having this a pledge to the planet certainly in my book implies Gaia worship, and whether or not the teacher sees it as harmless it certainly is religion being taught in schools. And if Christianity isn't going to be allowed to be taught to my daughter in a state forum, then I shall have little to no tolerance of any religion being taught in a state forum. I've sent the teacher a polite email asking why the omission in the letter to the parents and what the word means. What she says there will determine the next action I take.
Jim Brank
Denton, TX
"Dear Families,
It has come to my attention that some parents want to know more about the Pledge of the Earth we do in class every day. I am so plased to have such involved families this year. I will start by giving you the wrods we recite each day for the pledge.
'I promise to be good to the earth and to all life on this planet. To all growing things, all kinds of animals, and all races of people.
I promise to protect all life on this planet,
To live in harmony with nature and to share everything fairly,
So that all people can live with one another in good health and peace.'
I promise to protect all life on this planet,
To live in harmony with nature and to share everything fairly,
So that all people can live with one another in good health and peace.'
I like this poem because I feel it is important for kindergarteners to understand that we should take care of and respect all living things around us. The children will also learn important concepts about print by helping to recite this every morning. If you have specific questions regarding anything we do in class, please feel free to contact me. Thank you so much for your communication and interest in your child's education.
Ms. Monroe
*******@*********.org"
A surface glance at the poem and I'm sure no one would ever give it a second thought, giving it the ok for his or her child to recite this on a daily basis. Besides, respecting all things and living responsibly sounds like a noble cause, right? Surely no one would object to something as clearly stated as this. The problem is, I object to this.
So my 1st attempt to contact the teacher resulted in failure, the phone number listed has long since been disconnected, meaning this isn't the 1st year someone has expressed a concern in this poem. Researching "Pledge to the Earth" yielded some interesting results and some political agendas I do not agree with like the Earth Charter and the World Constitution and Parliament Association.
Showing up to her class to day to express my disdain for this poem, I tell the teach I do not want my daughter to participate in such an activity. She asks me why and I tell her I do not agree with the agendas behind the poem, namely the earth constitution and earth charter. She then begins to tell me there is nothing wrong with this poem. I let her say what she wants, but it is in one ear out the other. Walking out the door, i noticed a line omitted from the poem which simply said, "Namaste."
Why this word didn't show up on the letter to the parents confuses me. At first I thought it was the name of the person who wrote the poem, but after googling it, I was quite shocked and a bit peeved. It's hindu in origin and means, "I bow down to you." Having this a pledge to the planet certainly in my book implies Gaia worship, and whether or not the teacher sees it as harmless it certainly is religion being taught in schools. And if Christianity isn't going to be allowed to be taught to my daughter in a state forum, then I shall have little to no tolerance of any religion being taught in a state forum. I've sent the teacher a polite email asking why the omission in the letter to the parents and what the word means. What she says there will determine the next action I take.
Jim Brank
Denton, TX


7 Comments:
I agree that she should have kept the word "Namaste" in the pledge if she is having the children recite that particular part.
However, the meaning of the word simply mean, "the spirit in me greets the spirit in you." It is not a religion being taught. She is simply attempting to get the kids to acknowledge that every life form on the planet has value, which is a noble concept, as you stated. My question is, why are you so angry about it? Isn't there something else out there to get really angry about?
Lexi has a very important question, and I'd like to reemphasize it: what is it about respecting other people and other organisms irks you? Why do you believe it wrong to show such respect to others?
Thank you for your time,
-Davide
It's so sad that you christians have such disdain towards those who preach love and understanding.
Nothing wrong with "love and understanding" in the abstract. But this little diddle talks about sharing everything equally (communism) and shows such extreme reverence for the Earth that it could be construed as abjuring development of natural resources, industry, and material progress.
As I said, nothing wrong with a healthy consideration of nature, but this gets very close to advocating communism and the rejection of industry, if it's not explicitly doing so.
I think it's crossed the line from education to teaching an insidious anti-progress ideology.
Sir, I commend you for speaking to the teacher in question about this, and standing up against such things.
I see nothing wrong with respecting others. It is ashame that you find this concept hard to 'digest'. I understnad your need to hate something, but find something else to hate. Respecting the Earth is essential if you want to survive. Destroy the Earth and we all die. Respect it and we all live... Obviously you do not do yoga or else you would have known what "Namaste" was. It is a simple respectful greeting used by many. Just to be clear, I am white methodist, wiccan, woman. I love the Earth and respect what she has given us. Even in the Bible 'Mother Earth" is mentioned. Oh and the bible teaches us to love and respect others...so start respecting others and embrace diversity. Teach your child tolerance not hate and we all will be better off.
Just to be clear, the entity "Mother Earth" or any such phrase DOES NOT exist in the Bible.
Gaiaism will destroy the human race to save a big ball of dirt and water.
Oh, wow. Some of the things you people have said are truely shocking. I'm sorry but if you truly understand what a "wiccan" is and what the bible teaches and who God is, you would know that you cannot be a wiccan and be a christian. God's message in the bible is the ultimate love story, and also a story about extreme forgiveness. He took on the sins of the world. Forgiveness is the ultimate sign of understanding. Also, I don't think anyone used the word hate, or expressed such feelings at all. It is completely understandable to question something that is being taught to your child, because young milds are so impressionable. He obviously wasn't angry at the idea of teaching children to respect our resources and others because he said "respecting all things and living responsibly sounds like a noble cause."
By the way, i never understood why non-christians think that christians are narrow minded. we believe in a God who is supernatural and man at the same time, who is omniscience, and who died to save us...i don't think anyone who was narrow minded would have an open heart for this concept. i like the quote "i like your Christ, but i don't like your christians". there are alot of believers out there who have their heart in the right place, but send the wrong message by their words or actions, but you shouldn't close your mind off to something just because you dont agree with someone who believes in the same idea.
just food for thought.
my support is with you Jim from TX.
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment
<< Home