Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ok, this is weird, exciting, and stupid all at the same time. If you enter in the following number, 866-737-3913, into a google or yahoo site my blog is #1 on the list. I still haven't figured out who owns the number but at the same time I'm not willing to lose $30 to find out. Now to be fair to LegalLewis, I'm posting the numbers he/she has found too.

877-258-0758
866-823-6832

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Update 01/21/06

I figured out where United Marketing Association has gotten my phone number despite many people being on Do Not Call lists. My wife was in the hospital a few months back and it's the only place that has my wife's name associated with our cell number. Presbyterian Hospital has sold our number despite our opting out so they would no do such a thing. Since non-profit agencies are exempt from Do Not Call Lists, I'm willing to bet United Marketing Association got these lists under false pretenses, which makes their kind even worse.

23 Comments:

At January 11, 2006 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a call from the number today....i've been trying to figure out what it's about. do know anything more about it??

 
At January 11, 2006 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody called me from this number and said they were calling from Las Vegas and that I was entered in a contest to win something. I told them I couldn't take personal calls at work. After repeating that a couple of times, he eventually hung up. I bet it's a boiler room call center.

 
At January 14, 2006 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i get thoes number all the time on my cell phone 866-737-3913 and 877-258-0758 and its wasting my min on my phone we all need to find out who it is and sue them whos with me?

 
At January 14, 2006 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

listen up everyone i know who that number belongs too they just called me its United Marketing Assocation with las vagas navada if you want to contact me my email is mariadoughty@yahoo.com

 
At January 14, 2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there all, well im here for the same reason everyone else is. Goddam telemarketers. These pricks have been calling be for a couple of weeks now at all hours of the day and, night. Im calling them back when possible to try and talk to a person but all I get is a recording.

Weird

 
At January 14, 2006 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Company
United Marketing Association
Address:
P.O. Box 12057
Las Vegas Nevada 89121
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
888-624-7669

Here's what I could find out about these guys, just like all their other numbers this one is busy all the time.

Anyone up for a trip to Vegas to open up a can o' woop ass?

 
At January 17, 2006 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just got this call, googled the number, and of course it lead me to your site! although you have no affiliation whatsoever to this phone number, the comments helped me figure out who it was and i had tons of laughs playing will ferrel's celeb jeopardy over and over. thanks! :-)

now let's go open a can of whoopass!

 
At January 17, 2006 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been getting calls from these strange numbers on my cell phone for a week now. Every time I answer the phone it is just silence- then when I try to call the number back i get a busy signal. This has become quite irritating. I blocked the two numbers you have listed and then I started getting different ones-- 888 669-8868 then 727 450-0346 the last one was 866 737-3913. They all have to be coming from the same company. Thank you for letting us use your blog to rant.

 
At January 18, 2006 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo tex!!!!! it's cool. i received three calls from that number the 17th. i only answered once. just breathing. i'm having a feeling i know this person. i did some searches, and i am willing to find out who or what this is, i'll let you know in a couple day. i did actually not recieve a busy signal and got a voice message. it is some female, who i can not for the life of me make out what she is saying. at first it sounded like " hello this is cocks box office, you will be serviced." then it was like house back or something. i know the voice, i know i've met this person. oh and you are not a deceitful man, MAN. it is satan who glows through you, he go move through all. no worries sir. the end times are upon us, and peace is now. i know who it is, and it will be settled. do not curse yourself anymore. peace love stretgh and joy. dude have you seen 12 oz. mouse??? ha ha!!!!

 
At January 18, 2006 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

I just found your blog by putting the number (866) 737-3913. I just saw this very number on my cell phone and before I called it I wanted to see who it was..then I found your blog!

I am not sure what type of scam this is...but I am no fool. Do you think it has something to do with being a blogger/ bloggist or whatever? hmmmmm........

Tia Walker-thequestforit.com

 
At January 18, 2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this scammer needs a little visit from the feds.

 
At January 18, 2006 3:14 PM, Blogger Tex said...

The feds have the phone numbers. Still if you need to post a tip it's https://tips.fbi.gov

 
At January 18, 2006 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowwee I was all scared that I had some creepy stalker...like zombies got a hold of a phone or something. Thanks to the magic of the internet and google, I now know better.

 
At January 20, 2006 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.. I am starting to get annoying repetitive calls from these numbers. Can someone tell me if they will eventually stop calling and the time frame for that???? Or tell me how you have gotten them to quit calling. I haven't answered so far and don't plan on wasting my time, minutes, etc. on them. HELP! AHAHAHAH SOOOOOO ANNOYING!!!!!!

 
At January 20, 2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Tex said...

Start a conversation with them and take notes. The more dirt you get on them, the easier it will be to get them to stop calling. Hitting on the person will usually get them to stop calling too.

 
At January 20, 2006 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I am getting the same number and just like many of you I searched and here I am. This is all useful information, but now I have a question for you guys... How many of you are on the Do Not Call List? I know I am. I figure we flood them with reports on these people violating the do not call registry. You can file a complaint here:
https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx

If you are not on the registry get on it and lets get these people fined from here to infinity. Although woop ass was not a bad idea. And come on... VEGAS! WOOP some ass, see a show do some gambling. It's all good.

Back to reality. If anyone wants assistance in trying to nail these bastards let me know, I like to make trouble for people like these every once in a while.

Comander (mispelled intentionally) at hotmail dot com.

 
At January 20, 2006 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got a call from 866-737-3913 myself. Didn't answer it as I didn't recognize the number. Did the Google thing and ended up here like the rest of ya. Call came in at 8:09pm (Pacific) Friday 01/20/06. No voicemail left.

This isn't a number I give out to anyone but friends/family. Haven't put it on any DNC list either. Odd to imagine how some telemarketing firm could have gotten hold of it.

Google "United Marketing Association" for some interesting results. Seems to be some scummy outfit pushing magazine subscriptions with high pressure sales tactics and "contest/prize/drawing" baloney.

BBB consumer alert about them here: http://bbbenc.org/ca_Oct2004.html

"United Marketing Association in Las Vegas, NV contacted an Apex consumer telling her that she had been chosen in a drawing to receive a prize. When the company asked for her credit card information, she started asking the questions. They told her that their website was www.bbb.org! The Better Business Bureau has been unable to ascertain that the company has a valid business license, but we know that's not their website address. The company has an unsatisfactory record due to unanswered complaints. If you get such a call, please contact the BBB."

Rip-off report about them from a few gullible victims who actually gave them personal info here:

http://badbusinessbureau.com/view.asp?id=131564&view=printer

and here:

http://ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff153898.htm

Despite the NV address, a search for company info under name of "United Marketing Association" at the NV Secretary of State site yielded no results:

https://esos.state.nv.us/SOSServices/AnonymousAccess/CorpSearch/CorpSearch.aspx

However, a google for "P.O. Box 12057" nv revealed this top link:

https://esos.state.nv.us/SOSServices/AnonymousAccess/CorpSearch/CorpDetails.aspx?CorpID=48296

Which identifies the po box owner as ROBERT MICHAEL HORNF of MILLENIUM CORPORATE SERVICES, 3914 SEATON PLACE, LAS VEGAS

Yet that company appears to be some corporation registering proxy company which may simply be serving as agent for service of process for United Marketing.

Obviously these bottom feeders know how to hide and have good reason to do so. Suffice it to say - Just stay away.

-Tom

 
At January 25, 2006 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also gotten three calls now from numbers like this. I have not been in a place where i could answer my phone when they called. I was wondering how ever if you guys have also started getting a lot of emails for you have won this prize over and over, or those scams of someone died i will send you money crap.

Josh

 
At February 07, 2006 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got three phone calls from that number (866-823-6832) today(2/7/06), and when i googled it, your site came up. I wasn't able to answer any of the calls, but its impossible to call back (busy signal). find out anything more about it?

 
At February 12, 2006 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been getting calls from the 866-737-3913 number at my house. It is possible for people to purchase and use hardware affixed to their outgoing phone line to "clone" a number, or make a false number.

If telemarketers wanted to call you, and program in a known BOGUS number to their line, there is no way to use your Caller ID to trace this number.

Rather, you would need to have the "traceback" feature on your line, which most people don't opt in for (as it normally costs extra).

If I really wanted to bust them, or if they keep calling to the point where I freak out, then that is the way to find out where the calls are coming from. Otherwise, its just not worth the effort and expense.

 
At February 23, 2006 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, im irish and new in the USA (only since Oct 05) i've got the 3713 number 3 times in the last 2 days and like everyone else its engaged if you try call it back. i've made an official complaint to my cell phone company and to the government no marketing calls site. my policy now is not to answer the phone as there must be some scam as to why they dial numbers then dont even answer - i think they're compiling some kind of database of active numbers and recording the ones they get answers for then selling the database!!! Must be some major idiot behind it!!!!

 
At July 09, 2006 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After getting only four calls from these people, I called them back asking who they were. Naturally, they began on their spiel about me being pre-approved for this and that. I lied by telling them I was only 16 and had just a Savings account. They told me I wasn't qualified and removed my number instantly -- they said it might take up to 48 hours to stop receiving calls, but after that call, I didn't receive another one, and it's been almost a week now.

If you think about it, they aren't going to want to mess with calling someone so young, not only because there's no business to be had (no Checking account, which apparently their entire platform thrives on), but also since doing so might put them into even more of a legally questionable position... even if they may think you're not telling the truth about being too young, they're probably going to choose not to take the risk of continuing their incessant calls.

Tell them to stop calling your teenage daughter, tell them you are a teenager, whatever you feel most comfortable doing (I'm 19 so this was easy to pass off -- it was only over the phone anyway). Sound friendly or at least indifferent, and be sure to emphasize that you don't have a Checking account either. If you get a persistent operator, simply hang up and call back, and you're almost certain to get someone new on the line. Above all, don't divulge ANY personal information other than the number you want removed (which they clearly had in the first place).

As a preventative measure in the future (and likewise to those who haven't been struck by this yet), add your number(s) to the National Do-Not-Call Registry at http://www.donotcall.gov/ - this is GUARANTEED protection against these calls, but takes about a month to go into effect, so don't hesitate. These people WILL follow this list, because the consequences for not doing so are SEVERE. It's my gathering that violators can be fined up to $1,500 PER INFRACTION (and I believe an infraction would constitute a single call; correct me if I'm wrong). It'd also be very easy to prove violations -- all that would have to be done is a subpoena to a victim's phone company to find out when a call was placed, and then crosscheck that entry against the Do-Not-Call Registry's database of people who have opted out.

One last thing - the number they called me at is relatively new and has been given to very few, and only trustworthy sources. How they mined this number, I have no idea... sequential dialing sounds ridiculous, but it's the only thing seems even remotely plausible to me. I'm still curious about this phenomenon though, so if anyone has any idea where these people are getting phone lists, do tell.

Good luck to all!

-Ben (Lincoln, NE)

P.S. - For the sake of public knowledge, here are the four calls I received (yes, they called twice on Independence Day, and that's the same day I was removed):

July 3, 2006 @ 10:52 am - 888-669-8868 - Not answered
July 3, 2006 @ 4:55 pm - 888-669-8868 - Not answered
July 4, 2006 @ 10:18 am - 727-544-0057 - Not answered
July 4, 2006 @ 10:40 am - 727-450-0346 - Not answered

 
At December 13, 2006 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is December 13th now. and these people are still around!!!
i was contacted by "Kara" at united marketing Association. caller id revealed 1 800 326 4805. here's the story i put in my blog:
My cell phone rang. hmmm... an 800 number on my caller id. fishy already. Kara (was polite and seemingly well educated) offered me a diamond watch. asked for some basic info, and transferred me to her supervisor \"Rebecca Thomas.\" basic survey questions ensued ie. employed?, c/c holder etc. I was told that i would receive the diamond watch, and 6 magazines for only $3.99. before i gave any c/c info, i started asking about company info. is \"united marketing Ass. a publicly traded company? and are you listed with the BBB? rebecca skirted these issues. i told here i was in the process of looking up her company on the internet. of coarse she said there web page will be up and running soon. I asked how i can call back after i do more research on her employers... got some bs techno-babble about not being able to call back into the system. i knew it would be tough to get in touch with this company if any problems. then the internet search came through... first two listings were about fraud. i told her what i found, and she gave me a story about ex-employees bad mouthing them. when i asked her if i could do more research on her company, and call her back later she said this was not possible. she asked if i was still interested in their offer.... i said no, and she immediately (and rudely) hung up. all return calls to the number on caller id give only a busy signal. this was obviously a bunch of bologna. i hope no one else falls for it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home